PHP is a scripting language which is popularly being used. It is open source and easy to use scripting language. Its ability to embed code into HTML makes it most favourite scripting language today. Using PHP, writing web pages becomes a cake walk with this logic code combined with HTML syntax. These pages are built with much lesser code when compared to any other scripting languages like pearl. The PHP code should be placed under special instructions i.e “”. The code enclosed between these tags is termed as PHP mode.
The PHP code is executed at the server end and the results are sent to the client in HTML format. This keeps your code and logic hidden from client. This is in contradiction with the regular Java Script. Its excellent features give the experienced programmers a vast scope of building extensive web pages and its simple way of learning makes it easy for new learners.
PHP’s usage is majorly to write server side programmes. The components needed here are PHP parser, web server and web browser. PHP can also be used to write command line scripts which do not need any web server or browser to run. You just need a PHP parser for this purpose. Seldom PHP is used for creating a desktop application. Though this is not the best solution, people with excellent PHP programming skills with its advanced features can take their chances. PHP’s operating system independence gives it more strength to make its place in the programming world. In the same lines, PHP web pages which will be compatible with vast variety of databases. Many such significant features makes PHP the most preferred scripting language.
There are many tools have come into existence which can be used for PHP programming. Some of the most useful tools a PHP programmer can use are mentioned in this article.
Securimage : –
Any application or programme or system needs security on priority. No proper security can make way for intruders and hackers to enter into your application. There will be many options to protect your application of system. One of them is a “Securimage”. This is an open source captcha script. This tool can generate different captcha to protect your application. This tool will have an easy process to insert its code into PHP to make it an integral part of the web page code.
Its numerous features make it one tool which cannot be missed on an application. Some are as below.
- The captcha image can be created with as much as 3 lines of code.
- This tool can support TTF font.
- Option to embed a background image on the captcha image.
- The code for captcha can be customised as per our requirements.
- Ability to use user provided word list.
- Additional security features like image distortion, random lines.
- The entered captcha code validation can be done in as minimum as 6 lines of code.
- WAV format for audible codes.
- One can enable case sensitive security for better security.
- Alphanumeric captcha code feature enabled.
Scavenger : –
System Vulnerability is another hurdle all the administrators have to cross. It is a tough job to keep track of the vulnerabilities. A tool which can help administrators is Scavenger. This is an open source vulnerability management tool. Administrators can track vulnerability findings and track them. The tool allows admins to respond to the vulnerabilities by either accepting them or false-positive answer. Nessus scan results are stored in a database for admins to access the same from Scavenger tool’s web interface and responds to the vulnerability alerts.
This tool is developed by The Cyber Security Program Office at Argonne National Laboratory. This tool can be used with any number of applications without any limitation.
Scavenger tool is one point solution for all the organizations which need an application to manage vulnerabilities and is most useful tool to be used with PHP.
phpDocumentor : –
Any application developed and implemented at client end can score maximum marks only when you have a proper documentation in place for the application. No tool can replace the best practice of creating documentation for the application by the core team which developed the application. To help the team and minimise the time spent on documentation, project teams adopt using of some tools for creating documentation.
phpDocumentor is one such tool which can generate documentation from the source code of PHP with no much additional efforts. It creates documents for all the functionality of the application and interface for easy navigation for the client.
Its extensive template bank enables the developer to choose how the HTML output should be branded. This tool pulls out important information form source code and the same is represented graphically and readable reports for better understanding of the application.
Features which come with phpDocumentor are
- All the deprecated items will be reported.
- Pictorial representation of classes and their sub classes in the form of an inheritance chart.
- Tool can check and report back all the TODO marked items for faster access of the code.
- All the errors reported from the code are reported so that the fix can be applied on priority.
- Many more features come with this tool to help the developers.
PHPUnit : –
It is always a good idea to get your source code split into units and those chunks of units are tested to check if the expected output is being generated. Testing individual units help identify the errors in code at an early stage instead of waiting for full file completion. This can make a developer’s life easier while performing a code test for the whole source code.
PHPUnit’s purpose is to alert the developer about the errors in particular units of code. The tool uses assertions for testing the units for accurate results.
PHP_Debug : –
Only a developer knows the pain of debugging the program which come up with errors. Lot of time will be wasted in this process. There are many tools in market to help developer in debugging the code. One such tool is PHP_Debug.
This tool executes a script and gathers information about program trace, variables display, process time, included files, and query executed.
This tool comes with many useful features.
- Process time for database queries.
- Can check parts of code for its performance.
- Show SQL of executed queries (with highlighting and execution time)
- Dump of all types of variable in a graphical way.
- Allow to watch variables.
- Allow to show source code of all parsed file.
- Static methods to debug/trace out of the debug renderer display.
- Can replace the PHP error handler to show messages inside the debug renderer.